Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Book Club

So for the past few months, a few friends and I have tossed around the idea of starting a book club since the majority of us are bona fide bookworms.  Of course, we would talk about it when we got together, and say we're going to do it and then never do it.  Sooo, me being the natural born sucker leader that I am decided to get it started!

I've been in a few book clubs in the past, none of which I was absolutely in love with.  I've never lead a book club, but decided to take the things that I liked about my previous ones, plus a few other ideas and get started!  We had our first "meeting" this last Sunday and chose the books through December.  I asked everyone to come with 3-5 titles that they were interested in reading, no restrictions.  Between the ten of us, there were over 25 different books suggested.  A few of us had over-lapping titles, but I think we were all impressed with the variety of genres presented.  I asked everyone to bring a copy of the book, or since our first meeting was in a major bookstore that houses a very popular coffee brand, everyone was able to grab a copy of their books to share. 

After passing the books around, discussing some a bit more in depth, and reading synopses we decided on the following books:

September: The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

October: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


November: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

December: Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier


Out of the four we chose, I have only read To Kill a Mockingbird, and the last time I read that was in college a few years over 10 years ago, (holy crap, I'm getting old) so I'm excited to read it again. 

I typed the list of all the books suggested, and we will revisit them in January when choosing the next set of books.  There were so many good choices, I think I'll have my Kindle full for the next year!

Anyone read any of the chosen books? What did you think?


1 comment:

Amy @ Forever 29 said...

You have quite the group, impressive! I was going to choose To Kill a Mockingbird for JL Book Club!