Thursday, April 22, 2010

Why?!?!?!

Author's Note: Make sure the above title is read with a slight empathetic whine (think Annie Lennox singing the song with the same title!)

So, Miss K will be four months old this coming Sunday!  I can't believe that it's already been that long- it seems like just yesterday we were impatiently awaiting her arrival and now she's such a big girl! She is laughing (which by the way is the sweetest sound I have ever heard), blowing bubbles and raspberries, "talking" to us and her toys, sitting up with assistance, and rolling over.  Yep, rolling over.  This milestone has now become the bane of my existence.  The game has now changed, literally overnight.  Now, Miss K has been sleeping from about 6:30 at night until around 3:00 in the morning, eats, then sleeps until about 7:30.  This has been working seamless for us for about a month and a half or so.  Our old friend Mr. Sandman, who I thought had forgotten where we lived, has been back in our household making life happy!

Last week while we were in Atlanta, I put Miss K down one night and after an hour, she sounded like a wild animal in the brush. Grunting, thrashing, and just plain miserable. After a sleepless night (for both of us), fast forward 24 hours back home in North Carolina.  I go in to feed Miss K at our normal 2:00-3:00 time and in my sleepy haze I realize as I'm picking her up that my hands are not on her back, but on her stomach!!  Oh crap, she rolled!!!  Normally, this is not a scary thing for most parents.  But for this over-cautious, OCDish mommy, this new milestone sent me into panic mode.  See, Miss K until this point slept peacefully in her SwaddleMe, aka burrito.  For those of you unfamiliar with this wonderful contraption, see below.

(that's not Miss K by the way!)

No matter how fussy Miss K is prior to night-night time, once the magic burrito is velcroed, WALLA...happy, sleepy baby.  See any problems with rolling over in the burrito?  Yep, fast forward to the now.  Sleep- sans the burrito.  My friend Mr. Sandman has alas left us again!   Leading me to the post title...WHY?!?!  Big Poppa and I had just started talking about weaning Miss K from her burrito, one arm at a time.  We figured we had a few weeks to get her used to sleeping commando before rolling happened.  But once again, Miss K is showing mommy that it is futile to try and plan ahead for anything. 

So now, we're back to a not-so-happy Miss K that takes awhile to go down at night and is waking up at least 4 times a night.  Oh, and naps?  Naps are just plain silly.  SIGH...... and yes, I know that it will get easier and once Miss K gets accustomed to her new found freedom she will be sleeping again.  But I miss my friend.  So Mr. Sandman, if you're reading this please come visit soon!

No comments: