Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Leaving on a jet plane, Part Deux

If you recall, on our flight to Texas my mom was with us making it a little less stressful for me.  However on the return flight home, it was just Miss K and I.  True panic ensued about 2 days prior to the flight as I tried to plan ahead and make sure I had as minimal carry on baggage as possible.  I had booked the same time frame for the return flight to coincide with morning feeding and nap.  Remembering the trauma of the first flight, I was up and we were out the door almost two hours before our flight!  Of course we get to the airport and realize there is no curbside check in for Delta.  My mom helped get everything out but since she was just dropping us off I had to pull two suitcases, push the BOB with all contraptions attached (for the complete run down see Part One post) all while trying to get my ID out.  Have you ever thought about the concept of pushing something while pulling another?  It's about as easy as it sounds.

We finally got checked in and bags made it in the legal time limit.  Our flight was delayed about 15 minutes; no problem, that would allow me to grab a bite with time to spare.  We made it through security, no toiletries were taken and Miss K was wanded and once again declared free of any explosive devices.  At this point we are still a good forty minutes until our new departure time so we browse the magazines and make our way to the gate.  Good so far, yes?  Yes.  My blood pressure had remained pretty stable and I was almost getting a bit cocky thinking I had this trip in the bag. 

Our boarding time comes and goes.  The plane is at the gate so it wasn't a flight delay.  Our departure time comes and goes.  Miss K is beginning to get a bit squirmy and fussy and decides to take a snooze.  UGH...here we go again.  My friend Murphy is back.  We are told that there is a small mechanical issue with the plane and they are just waiting on the paperwork and we should be about 30 more minutes.  OK, I can handle that.  At this time, a very nice, older businessman sitting next to me strikes up a conversation asking about Miss K, telling me about his kids and just shooting the shit.  Thirty minutes come and go.  By this time, it is nearing 9:00, what would have originally been halfway through our flight had we left on time.  Another announcement is made- (the following is my translation of the what was said) "Hi folks! That small mechanical issue?  Well, it's actually not so small, more like a slash in the tire and whoops...we can't fly with that tire.  So, we have to wait for a tire to be flown in on the next incoming flight so we can change it out.  We should have some more news around noon."  WHAT THE FRICK?  NOON?  Let the water works begin.  I try to call my mom, no answer.  Of course this is the one day she's volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and not at work.  Sister.  No answer.  Just Miss K and I left to fend for ourselves for three more hours.  How in the world am I suppose to keep Miss K entertained with minimal toys for three hours?   That and I only have one bottle with me.  I have enough formula, but I am super weird about reusing bottles without washing them thoroughly.  Call it first baby syndrome, but I just got over the paci dropping and not sterilizing it before popping it back in her mouth.  All other flights are completely booked so no hope there.  We ended up departing at 11:30 and Miss K did great.  She got fussy a few times, but crap, I wanted to get fussy because I too was bored!  She slept the entire flight and how crazy is it that the seat next to me was the ONLY seat open on the entire flight!  That made it nice because I was able to stretch out a bit and not have to worry about bothering someone else.

Everyone on the flight lauded how great she did and were super impressed that this was her first flight!  While we survived and it wasn't as traumatic as it could have been, I'm not planning on making any more solo flights in the near future!  The lesson learned from this adventure is to expect the unexpected.  I think that may be the motto of my life these days.

No comments: